The folk I work with have disturbingly good English and it leaves me feeling quite inadequate. Nevertheless, I’ve picked up on some common mistakes that I hear occasionally:
- Pronunciation of launched.
- Referring to a bowl of cereals, and not just cereal. Fruit, and not fruits.
- Pronunciation of tired (tīrd).
- Using American pronunciations, especially data.
- Misuse of lend, lent and borrow.
- Mispronunciation of silent letters, such as in salmon (săm’ən) and iron (ī’ərn).
- The Irish say appreciate and genuinely in a funny way and are bananas about using the word avail.
- Saying 2 billions and not just 2 billion.