Ubud is full of superb spots to eat, and after a ~4-month stint here, I’ve tried quite a few places. Here are some standout locations (in no particular order):
- Locavore: best resto in town, for sure. Fine dining.
- Elephant: Great location and all round veggie food.
- Who’s Who: consistently great.
- Kafe: The original hangout.
- Soma: Proper Ubudian. Raw/vegetarian/whatever.
- Seniman Coffee Studio: Funky coffee place.
- Melting Wok: Well deserving of it’s uber high TripAdvisor ranking. Attentive service and cheap, good eats.
- Warung Saya: One man show. Great food, but be expecting a bit of a wait.
- Cafe Pomegranate: Amazing location in the rice fields. Great food too. A must see.
- Gaya Gelato: Top notch gelato.
- Palau Kelapa: Located next door to the $100+/head Mosaic. Wooden chalet building. Pan-Indo. Cheap and rather great.
- Kebun: Good wholesome grub.
- Five Elements: 20-mins outside of Ubud, but deserving a mention. Beautiful resort. Only vegan/raw. Pricey.
- Taksu Spa: A spa with a restaurant. Set in the jungle, comfy, fast-wifi, free Tea refills and the best value breakfast.
Some other really rather great, but not outstanding places:
- Ibu Oka: Famously suckling pig, favoured by bus loads of tourists and locals alike. Of by Anythony Bourdain fame.
- Clear Cafe: A firm favourite. Only vegetarian, but so good you quickly forget.
- Dayu’s Warung: Same road as Sopa – great organic fare.
- Alchemy: Kinda expensive, but delightful salad bar. Vegan, so salad options is a bit lacking.
- Warung Sopa: Just vegetarian. But also great.
- Bali Buddha: An old favourite with a great dessert menu.
- Fair Warung Bale: Charity outfit claiming the #1 spot on TripAdvisor. Good food with profits going to charity. Fair enough.
- Mojo’s Flying Burritos: Best burrito in town.
- Bernadette’s: Known for its Rendang; my favourite Indo dish.
- Warung Schnitzel: A great schnitizel and killer deserts.
- Cafe des Artist: Best steak I’ve had in Ubud.
- Four Seasons: Incredible souffle!
- Bettlenut: An event location. Good food, I thought.
- Sari Organik: Great setting just beyond Cafe Pomegranate. Overrated, I think.
- Putu’s Wild Ginger: Nice fare.
- Il Giardino: Probably the best Italian in town.
- Lamak: Souffles! Upmarket joint.
Popular places that don’t really float my boat:
- Fly Cafe: Frequented by older ex-pats.
- Biah-Biah: Balinese food, tapas-style, and cheap.
- Ibu Rai: Nice setting, but only so-s0.
- Bebek Bengil: Famous duck that just isn’s so special.
- Taco Casa: Good Mexican, probably the best in town, but best restaurant in Ubud? Nah.Naughty
- Nuri’s: Also popularised by Anthony Bourdain. Probably the best ribs in town.
For spa’s, I’d recommend these:
- Putri Spa, Jalan Sanggingan
- Restu, Jalan Goutama
- Taksu Spa, Jalan Goutama
Many more places to check-out. I’ll give this another update sometime.
Edit: This needs a proper update; many new places in Ubud and some recommendations made that are almost embarrassing.